Moving can be one of the most stressful things we go through. Whether you are a single person, a family or a business, it can be overwhelming and chaotic. As a professional organizer for 19 years, Marla has seen the pain her clients go through. She also sees how often the boxes are still unpacked months or even years later!
TIP 1 – Clear the clutter FIRST! Start a couple months before the move. Schedule a couple hours at a time, or a whole weekend, to go through and clear the layer of stuff you know you no longer need or want. You don’t have to do it all but everything you release saves you money. Get help from a friend, family or a professional organizer. Get help from our eBook The ART of Letting Go. You can download it on www.clearsimple.com/art.
TIP 2 – Create a simple plan for each area of the old home and the new. Go to google to find wonderful checklists!
TIP 3 – Get the right TOOLS:
- Use the real moving boxes. They are extremely affordable. They make the move easier because you have the sizes you need, they can stack easily, they have handles where you need them, you can reuse or recycle them when done.
- Get moving labels that make it easier to identify what it is the box. I love the ones that are a different color for each area. You can go to Amazon to see a variety of options,
- Get the packing tape and tape guns to get the job done quickly.
TIP 4 – Hire professionals to pack and to move you. It will save you stress and money in the end. However, be picky and interview different companies until you find a great fit for you. Often times professional organizers are less by the hour than moving companies and they do a much more organized job. They can also help you put your home together on the other end.
Text your email address to 801-463-9090 and type “move” or email [email protected] to get a free digital version of our Organize Your Move Book. I want you to get organized and have fun doing it.
Make this next move the one you celebrate because it is smooth and has much less stress. The Clear & Simple Team.
Being organized and being productive both require finding what you need when you need it. The following tips will make both of these easier.
Our homes can easily fill with clutter and chaos. Yet, the purpose of our home is peace, support and connection. We are sharing our top 5 tips that are easy to implement and can make a big difference over time.
Watch the video for all the great information and see our tips down below. Marla on Fox 13 – The Place
Marla Dee on Fox 13 – The Place
Top 5 Tips:
- Containers make a huge difference for all types of stuff and all areas – everything from drawers to the garage. Containers make it easier to store your things, find your things and return them to where they belong. Trick: Leave the tops off containers that will be used often for easy access. (Watch the video for some of our favorites)
- Then label the containers and the shelves. This makes it easy for you to find what you want rather than digging through multiple bins and boxes. It also makes life easier because the kids (or husband) can put it back where it belongs. Get and use your own labeler. The Container Store has a great selection of all kinds of labels.
- Get your own TimeTimer – the best tool for making time tangible. This wonderful tool is different from you typical timer. It shows you by the section in red how much time is left so you can quickly adjust.
- Capture all incoming information in ONE place – one notebook, one place on your smart phone and one container for all the paper that lands in your home. (check out the video for a couple fun ideas including a magnetic container from the Container Store that can attach to your refrigerator Piggy Magnetic Container.
- Create strong ZONES by putting like with like. These days we are so busy that the stuff lands everywhere. Start with creating zones just for home office & paper, for all the toys, keep the bedroom only the bedroom, all tools together, a nice relaxing living room, etc.
We care about your home being everything you need and want. Please reach out and let us know if we can help by teaching you how or helping you get it done!
Marla, Kate & Team
Tip #1: Choose only 1 small, 1 medium and 1 large organizing project for each season!
Clutter clearing can feel overwhelming. Getting organized often feels impossible. My real life tip is to choose ONE small, ONE medium, and ONE large project for each season. Then schedule only one project for each month.The beginning of the year holds this big push for change. However, the best way to really make a change is to keep it small and realistic. Then let go of the stress and pressure to do it all or to keep doing more. Let this be enough.
There is also ease and power by aligning our projects with the cycles of the earth and our bodies. Our bodies naturally feel and align with the seasons of our earth. In the cold months we want to slow down and hibernate. In the warn months we want to play.
Some ideas for a small project (2-3 hours) –
- your purse or wallet
- your briefcase or tool bag
- Your computer desktop or smart phone pictures
- your junk drawer or office supply drawer – my favorite container above www.containerstore.com
A medium project (4-6 hours) might be –
- Your dresser top & drawers
- Your desktop or paper piles
- Your action file container
- Your Vital Documents
A large project (1-3 days) could be –
- Your pantry or cupboards
- Your clothes closet or bedroom
- Your files for this year (get www.freedomfiler.com)
- Your computer files and folders
I have joyfully chosen my projects for this winter season. My small one is my music CD’s, my medium is my digital photos and my large one is my updating my Vital Documents now that I am engaged and my children are adults! Please take 10 minutes now, choose yours, write them down and share them with me. I will give you a reward. And contact us if you want or need help to get them done.
Your Guide – Marla Dee
Get the rest of my TOP TEN ORGANIZING TIPS for the New Year by clicking here
TRUE CLUTTER CONFESSIONS from Marla & Kate
– the Creators of the Clear & SIMPLE Way to live free of clutter and be organized!
This last year has been all about creating and then clearing, over and over again! We had a blast launching our new brand & website, traveling to London, offering new eBooks and workshops, sharing the Powerful Staying in Business a Decade & Beyond – and so much more. It all led to creating our own form of chaos. The ladies always touting “Keep it Simple” had to take a long look at why we were making everything complicated. Ha Ha!
We sadly realized that in our frantic efforts to give you so much, we weren’t aligning with our core values – Simple, Joyful, & Soulful. We are sorry for throwing you more stuff than anyone could handle; more information than connection. In December we took a “time out”. We spent time clearing our own clutter, opening to sacred conversations, and constantly asking what we MOST want to give you in this New Year?
So, in true Clear & SIMPLE fashion, we’ve gone through SEE IT, MAP IT & DO IT to create a meaningful way to stay connected this year. Since you have signed up to receive content from us we want you to know what it will look like…
Our 2015 THEME – Organizing can be simple & fun!
- Daily sharing on Social Media of things that inspire us and make life easier. Like our Facebook Page.
- Weekly Ezine – a simple offering: Inspiring Idea, Tool or Tip, Cool Container or Simple System. Sign Up Here.
- Monthly Newsletter – a simple email with a small roundup of the month’s Featured Favorites
- Spontaneous Blogs & Video’s showcasing our favorite products, tools and solutions
We hope you will join us on the fun journey and please let us know what you want anytime!
801-463-9090 | [email protected]
Marla & Kate
Isn’t it time for clarity that really matters, that will make a meaningful difference in your life?
With so many failed New Year’s Resolutions, even with the most determined attempts, people are starting to look at different approaches to makes changes in the new year. After all, it’s not really that we don’t have what it takes to create real change or even that what we so desire to change isn’t attainable. We simply need a new way.
We ran across an article by Parker J. Palmer about how the New Year’s energy feels like so much hoopla, but that we truly do desire a significant ritual and that “maybe we’re on the threshold of something new and better.” After reading an inspiring poem, some questions arose in him that he is using as his guiding force throughout the new year.
We just had to share these beautiful questions with you…
• “How can I let go of my need for fixed answers in favor of aliveness?
• What is my next challenge in daring to be human?
• How can I open myself to the beauty of nature and human nature?
• Who or what do I need to learn to love next? And next? And next?
• What is the new creation that wants to be born in and through me?”
Wow! Powerful. Meaningful. I know these are going to support me in creating some brilliant things in this new year. How about you? If you’d like more, read his whole post.
Many blessing to you in this new year!
Join us once again at the Salt Lake Home Show.
Get our TOP TEN Organizing Tips for the New Year and More!
Tip #3. Have a one-page master map for your year that inspires, empowers and supports you. Here is the form that we use with our clients. It’s our gift to you! If you would like a personal session with Marla to expand on this, click here.
Get the rest of our top tips from Marla who will be speaking ONLY twice, so mark your calendars!
Saturday January 10th @ 10 a.m.
Sunday January 11th @ 11 a.m.
Visit our Booth #1540 near the Design Stage to enter our drawing and receive special offers!
We’ll be giving away tickets next week on Facebook, so make sure to Like Our Page and check in each day!
You can also Purchase Discount Tickets.
Friday January 9th @ 2:00 p.m. through Sunday January 11th @ 6:00 p.m.
South Towne Expo Center
9575 S. State Street
Sandy, Utah 84070
Go Here for additional information and directions.