Make room to park your car in the garage!
The garage is the “quick in the moment” dumping ground
for stuff going in and out of the house.
– Marla Dee
Twenty-five percent of people with 2-car garages don’t park in them at all. A third can only park one car, largely due to garage clutter. (U.S. Dept. of Energy study) and 24% of homeowners are embarrassed to leave their garage doors open. (Impulse Research survey).
Use the Clear & Simple Way to clutter clear your garage. You’ll love parking your car there, enjoy having things organized and might even want to show it off!
SEE IT – Take a look at where you are now. Answer the questions for the whole garage including specific areas such as tool and equipment storage.
- What’s working? You can be specific or general.
- What do you like (if anything) about the look, feel and function?
- Are there things you know you want to change?
- What isn’t working? What don’t you like?
- Is there stuff that doesn’t belong here, like donations and past time stuff?
- Be honest… is your garage a dumping ground because you just don’t know what else to do with the stuff?
MAP IT – Make a written plan for what you want the most for this space. The garage is often the first place we see/enter as we arrive home. It matters.
- How do you want your garage to look, feel and function?
- Create an online board of images that inspire you.
- Create a mind map showing all the elements you want.
- What do you want most from your garage? (i.e. to park cars, storage for tools, yard equipment, outdoor gear, etc.)
- Allow yourself to think differently about the garage. For example, would you appreciate having the walls finished? Look at pictures for inspiration.
- What do you want to add to your garage, like shelves and containers?
DO IT – Take the steps to make it happen. Look on your calendar and set up time for the transformation!
- Choose an area to start with. For the garage specifically, we suggest breaking things down into categories and tackling one at a time (i.e. yard tool and equipment, hand and power tools, sports equipment, outdoor gear, decorations, home maintenance items, donations).
- Go through the S.T.A.C.K.S.© System for the category (Sort, Toss, Assign, Contain, Keep it up, Simplify). By following S.T.A.C.K.S.© the project will be easier and you will save money. Go to www.clearsimple.com/systems.
- Enjoy shopping for the shelves and containers you want and need.
- Once you complete each category, take time to celebrate. We know you will feel a sense of freedom as you move through each one.