DAYTIMER DILEMMA? TIPS FOR PICKING THE PERFECT PLANNER
Do you have daytimer dilemma! We need paper planners more than ever! We love our technology for tracking all the details of our contact and appointments. But nothing replaces paper for planning out our month, week and day. Putting pen to paper is grounding for our bodies and brains.
Yet we get overwhelmed trying to figure out which planner to get! Big or small, just the months or do I need the day, simple or colorful…
Watch and this fun segment on Fresh Living and get my top tips for picking the perfect planner, along with some favorites.
Marla Dee on Fresh Living
1 – SIZE MATTERS: Will you want to carry it with you at all times? If so, does it need to fit in your purse or pocket? Or do you want a larger planner? For a simple, sleek planner try the moleskin which you can get on Amazon. Or one of the many pocket versions at your office supply or bookstores.
2 – USE MATTERS: MONTH, WEEK & DAY: How much use do you need? You can keep it simple and just get a 2-page month to keep track of appointments. Most of us need this because doing it on the smartphone is impossible. However, if you need more space or want to make simple lists, also get a 2-page week. If you need to plan out your day in detail then a 1 or 2-page day is needed. For tabs and pages that fit the disc bound notebook go to levenger.com or Etsy or your local office max. The advantage here is that you can add and subtract pages easily.
3 – DESIGN MATTERS: You will be using your planner all the time so choose a look and feel that you love. You can also get creative and customize. For stylish in different sizes and formats daydesigner.com. Or check out the Happy Planner, the Martha Stewart Planner with Staples.
4 – PERSONAL &/OR BUSINESS USE: There are excellent planners available now that really help you stay focused on your goals and productivity. For a super smart, productive 2-page day check out the brilliant Self Journal at bestself.co You can download the pages and try them out first. And don’t forget the classics of Daytimer and Franklin Covey.
Check out our Live & Virtual Workshops at www.clearsimple.com/events/
Marla Dee, Clear & SIMPLE | www.clearsimple.com | 801-463-9090
Marla Dee, the creator of the Clear & SIMPLE Way, has been helping people for 18 years get clear of the clutter in their space & the chaos in their day!
Only YOU can stand up for what matters most in your life.
We talk about this every December because your life is what matters most to us. We are passionate about helping you get free of clutter and get organized so you can love your life. We are constantly hit with distractions and overwhelm in our world. This energy keeps getting stronger. It takes being present and standing up for what you really want in your space, your day, your relationships and with your stuff.
We want your year-end to be filled with the sweetness of the year gone by and looking forward to what is next. December can be a time to slow down (rather than speed up). As the sun sets earlier we now have long evenings to sit, read, write and share with loved ones. Before technology came, we sat around a roaring fire or the big, wood dining room table and we talked. Wouldn’t it be sweet to end the year this softer way?
We invite you to take an honest, deep look at your life. By simply getting still and reflecting back over the year, you can open to what matters most! Set aside an evening or a morning to ask and answer the following queries. Then share with your loved ones and ask what matters to them.
What means the most to me right now…
- In the relationship with myself?
- In my intimate relationship?
- In my family?
- In my home and workspaces?
- In my friendships?
- In my work or creations?
- In the next steps of my path?
** Get a printable version here.
Now ask yourself–Is there one change I am ready to make that will truly honor what matters most to me? It might be going to bed earlier, journaling daily, or calling your mom every Sunday. We suggest starting with one change and let this be enough.
From Marla – Once a Year I offer this precious workshop and guidebook. It is called Your Life Matters! I will step you through looking at the year closing down with heart and presence. We will then tune into what you most want for the next year and create your theme and goals. The workshop will be on Saturday, January 13th, 2018 at my office in Murray Utah. I would love to have you join me. This workshop is limited to 9 wonderful human beings.
Live workshop is limited to 9 wonderful souls – Find out more here
We honor you, Marla, Kate & Team
School Tools to relieve the stress and add success!
It’s here! – Time for the kids to go back to school, or for the grown kids to leave for college. No matter what age you are, school can be overwhelming as well as exciting. We want to make organizing fun so we are sharing our tools to relieve the stress and add success.
1 – Even with today’s technology most of us still need paper. A Day Planner that suits the child is still vital for tracking all the information and actions. And check out the brilliance of discbound notebooks. This notebook is called the TUL Notebook at Office Depot, the ARC at Staples or CIRCA at Levenger (an online resource). You can also find cool accessories for them at Etsy.com.
2 – Set up yourself up for success by getting the perfect backpack for you along with all the necessary tools. Watch the video below to see some of my favorite tools to go inside the backpack. Hint – those packs get heavy, so get one with wheels.
3 – We all have activities where we get lost in the zone. Our favorite tool for helping you stay on track in the TimeTimer. It answers the big question of how much time is left without having to calculate. And the section in red gets your attention so you stay focused.
Invitation to you – Choose one of the TIPS above and share your experience with me at [email protected] or www.facebook.com/clearsimple.com and we will give you a prize. we want you to get organized and have fun doing it.
Travel Goods – get’m while they’re hot!
You know that organizers can be obsessed with containers and bags. But when it comes to travel, having the right containers makes a huge difference. We just wanted to let you know that JUNE is the annual travel sale at The Container Store, one of our favorite places to get exactly what we need for traveling. Check out the items below and then head to www.thecontainerstore.com to see much more.
Note – Make sure to check out their short videos along with their travel tips.
1 – The Perfect Bag makes all the difference.
Check out the Eagle Creek Collection and see the video here
2 – Create your body care set and refill when you get home.
Here is a link to the page full of containers. Kate’s favorite are the GoToobs.
3 – Check out the Eagle Creek Pack-it Folders. This is Marla’s favorite.
These cubes make it easy to set up camp wherever you are staying.
4 – And a favorite for Technology is the GIO Organizer
We hope these containers and tips help you have a fun filled summer!
Marla, Kate & Team
The FREEDOM of one bag, one book, one purse, one list, one purpose! One is enough.
Time to take a trip! Whether it is just you or a group, juggling all the stuff can be overwhelming. Why do we buy into the belief that more is better? When traveling, this outdated idea only causes trouble.
We are inviting you to experience the freedom that comes from choosing just ONE!
- Decide on one suitcase that is just the right size to hold your essentials and no more.
- Packing this suitcase will be easier if you have one toiletries bag
- one light jacket that can double as a blanket on the plane
- one pair of shoes packed and one on your feet
- one carry on purse (or case) works better with
- only one book to read
- one snack to get you through
- one list for each trip (read our blog about Wunderlist)
- For the truly daring, how about one pair of earrings
- one piece of technology like your smart phone
- one chosen place or person to visit
I tried this approach on my last trip and I was blown away at how much simpler EVERYTHING was! I had one perfect size suitcase, one over the shoulder purse, one book, one notebook, my iPhone, one list, and one friend to visit.
And I felt so much more relaxed and present in each moment. I am hooked on this idea – Marla Dee
Being organized and being productive both require finding what you need when you need it. The following tips will make both of these easier.
Our homes can easily fill with clutter and chaos. Yet, the purpose of our home is peace, support and connection. We are sharing our top 5 tips that are easy to implement and can make a big difference over time.
Watch the video for all the great information and see our tips down below. Marla on Fox 13 – The Place
Marla Dee on Fox 13 – The Place
Top 5 Tips:
- Containers make a huge difference for all types of stuff and all areas – everything from drawers to the garage. Containers make it easier to store your things, find your things and return them to where they belong. Trick: Leave the tops off containers that will be used often for easy access. (Watch the video for some of our favorites)
- Then label the containers and the shelves. This makes it easy for you to find what you want rather than digging through multiple bins and boxes. It also makes life easier because the kids (or husband) can put it back where it belongs. Get and use your own labeler. The Container Store has a great selection of all kinds of labels.
- Get your own TimeTimer – the best tool for making time tangible. This wonderful tool is different from you typical timer. It shows you by the section in red how much time is left so you can quickly adjust.
- Capture all incoming information in ONE place – one notebook, one place on your smart phone and one container for all the paper that lands in your home. (check out the video for a couple fun ideas including a magnetic container from the Container Store that can attach to your refrigerator Piggy Magnetic Container.
- Create strong ZONES by putting like with like. These days we are so busy that the stuff lands everywhere. Start with creating zones just for home office & paper, for all the toys, keep the bedroom only the bedroom, all tools together, a nice relaxing living room, etc.
We care about your home being everything you need and want. Please reach out and let us know if we can help by teaching you how or helping you get it done!
Marla, Kate & Team