Organize Your Bedroom
Is your bedroom a peaceful sanctuary or a cluttered disaster?
We stand side by side in the doorway to her bedroom, looking at the clutter that has taken over the bed, floor, and all horizontal surfaces. She can’t even sleep in this room anymore. As she starts to tell her story, I feel her sadness and shame.
Using the See it. step, I ask my client how things got like this? What happened? Well, her life is a busy one. Between raising 4 girls, work that she loves, and many interests, there isn’t time for her own stuff. Her bedroom, like so many of my clients, became a dumping ground for homeless and undone items. It’s the one room in her home where she doesn’t have to hold it all together. It’s only now that her girls are grown and gone that she can take time for herself.
As we move into the Map it. step, she gets to share about her vision for this bedroom. She’s been dreaming about it for years and has gathered lots of pictures. She wants a sanctuary. What a joy to witness her and put the plan on paper.
Now she is excited and ready to dive into the stuff and make choices that support her vision. Following STACKS (Do It.) one step at a time makes going through all her things possible. We start with the floor, move onto the bed and side tables, and end with her dresser and closet, completely transforming the space into her dream room.
She looks at me with tears in her eyes and exclaims, “I did it!”
SEE IT. MAP IT. DO IT.© is the 3-step organizing formula that works for all the areas of your space and life. Let’s use it to transform your bedroom.
SEE IT – Take a look at where you’re at. Have each person answer the questions below for the whole bedroom (we will do the clothes closet later). When you are done, take time to share with each other.
- What’s working? You can be specific or general.
- What do you love about the look, feel and function?
- Are there things you know you want to change?
- What’s not working? What don’t you like?
- Are there things in your bedroom that don’t belong there?
- Are you doing things other than rest and intimacy in your bedroom?
MAP IT – Make a written plan for what you want. Go after what you really desire as this is the most important room in your home.
- How do you want your bedroom to look, feel and function? Have FUN!
- Create an online board of images that inspire you. Go for it!
- Create a mind map showing all the elements you most want.
- Is there a theme for your room such as beach house?
- What colors and textures would make you happy?
- What do you want to add to your bedroom, like a reading chair?
DO IT – Take the steps to make it happen. Look on your calendar and set up time for the transformation. Try playing music and make this joyful.
- Choose which area you want to start with. We suggest starting small and building up from there. For example, you could do the bed and side tables, then go to the dresser and rest of the room.
- Go through the S.T.A.C.K.S.© Steps for the project (Sort, Toss, Assign, Contain, Keep it up, Simplify). By following STACKS the process you will save time, energy and money.
- Once you complete each area, take time to celebrate. Why not have a date night in your new bedroom! We promise you will sleep better and wake up happier.
I love teaching The Clear & Simple Way to live free of clutter and get organized at last.