Make your car a happy place to be each day!
Are you calm or distracted when you are driving?
A cluttered car can affect your focus and peace of mind.
– Marla Dee
If you were looking inside your car right now, what would you see? Is there clutter, trash, homeless items you haven’t dealt? Because we are in the car so often, it is easy to have the clutter buildup.
Studies have found that a cluttered car can increase the risk of accidents. It’s scary to think about that fact but it’s true! Items hanging from the rearview mirror, piled up to minimize visibility and even items blowing around with open windows, all have an impact on our focus when we are driving.
SEE IT – Take a look at where you are now. Answer the questions below for the whole car including specific areas such as the glovebox and console.
- What’s working? You can be specific or general.
- What do you like (if anything) about the look, feel and function?
- Are there things you know you want to change?
- What isn’t working? What don’t you like?
- Is there stuff that doesn’t belong here, like donations and garbage?
- Breathe deeply and tap into how you feel when you drive. Are you calm and present? Scattered and frenzied? Perhaps you have never noticed before.
MAP IT – Make a written plan for what you really want. We feel better and are more focused when our cars are clean and free of distractions.
- How do you want your car to look, feel and function?
- Create an online board of images that inspire you.
- Create a mind map showing all the elements you want.
- Is your car used primarily for commuting? Or do you take off on day adventures and road trips? What else would you like to do?
- Be open to scheduling standing time to clean, vacuum and wash your car.
- Is it time for you to purchase a new/new-to-you vehicle? If so, add this to your plan of action.
DO IT – Take the steps to get it done. Pick a weekend and make this happen. You will be so happy you did!
- Just get it done. Start by hauling everything out and putting things into boxes to go through the system below. Take it to be washed, wiped down, and vacuumed. Then put back only the items you really use and need. Get honest about what you really need.
- Go through the S.T.A.C.K.S.© System on the stuff you hauled out (Sort, Toss, Assign, Contain, Keep it up, Simplify). By following S.T.A.C.K.S.© the project will be easier and you will save time, energy, and money. Go to www.clearsimple.com/systems.
- Why not create a relationship with your car… name it, make it smell good, or put on stickers if that makes you happy. Get creative and have fun.
- Once you complete this project, take time to celebrate. It might even feel like a new vehicle. Go for a leisurely drive and soak up the difference in how your car feels.