What is it you most WANT this summer? Do that.
“I am flying through the tops of the trees, held snugly by the padded bench and metal bar of the lift as it takes me up the mountainside. I inhale sweet high mountain air and look in awe at the majesty all around me. Wow, this is summer at it’s best. I am at the Sundance Resort in Utah only 50 minutes from my front door. And yet I have never done this!! Why did it take a dear friend’s visit to get me up here? Why have I never explored it on my own? I am opening to more adventure in my life this summer. And I am amazed at what is right around the corner.” Marla Dee
…So here we are again in the first days of this blessed season. This year I’m determined to make the most of it. Here are last summer’s unkept promises, but this year these and more will happen because I’m going to stick my neck out and promise to give you a full report after it’s over.
- Sit in my favorite garden chair and read every day, even if only for a bit.
- Take a whole day to go for a hike in the mountains.
- Once a week make a big cup of coffee, go to the park, and gaze at the sky.
- Invite more people to enjoy simple meals by our pool.
But it’s not easy. Last Tuesday after a long weekend in Aspen to celebrate our 35th anniversary, I awoke filled with energy and happy to tackle my pile of tasks. Later feeling proud after a productive day, I found Tim swimming laps in the pool. I said, Well, somebody has the right idea ~ good for you! ~ but thought to myself, What’s wrong with this picture?
Instead of integrating the relaxation, blessings and love of the weekend into my first day back (as he had done) I spent most of the day at my desk, yet again intent on getting as much done as possible. In spite of the fact that one of my three Best Year Yet Guidelines this year is Enjoy life.
Summer is the most enlivening time, isn’t it? It’s so natural to want to slow down, contemplate, meditate, read, walk ~ and enjoy ourselves.
Let’s make the most of this time of renewal as the benefits are many:
- Greater sense of inner calm
- Increased fitness as we go outside and move
- More clarity as we expand our horizons in these warmer, longer days
- Time to read, think, learn and inspire
- Peace that comes from enjoying each moment
- Make a list of your summer promises.
- Choose someone you’ll be accountable to.
- Add one summer enjoyment action to your To Do List every day.
Above all I recommend that if you haven’t ever made a Best Year Yet® plan…
Love on summer. Love on your life.
Marla, Kate & Team